Who is giving up caffine totally?

I so far have not. I’m feeling so guilty for drinking my half cup in the AM every day…but I am so lost without coffee! (I even water it down with hot water to make it feel like I am drinking more than half a cup!)

I know the studies are mixed and most say that 200mg or less a day is ok…but some of these pregnancy books say you should really give it all up 100%. And after what all of us have been through to get :preg: …makes me feel even worse that I’m not totally quitting!

So is anyone else still drinking just a lil bt of coffee with me? Or do I need to get with it and go cold turkey?

I give it up during the 2ww because large volumes are associated with miscarriage but don’t give it up during stims.

I don’t drink coffee…but I usually have a couple diet Cokes a day. I’ve cut it back to about a diet Coke once a week.

I gave it up at first but my OB looked at me like I was crazy when I told him that. He said, “you know you can have a cup or two every day, right?” So, I’ve gradually let myself have a bit here and there. I have a cup of coffee or a chai latte a few days a week.

I have given up almost 100%
But that doesn’t mean that I don’t ever fall off the wagon. I still don’t officially start ivf for another few months but I’m preparing my body so trying to do right. Don’t fell guilty especially since you are already preggers and on your way! Lots of luck to you on your journey.

Personally, I gave it up completely and substituted my daily morning coffee with Pero (pero coffee substitute, coffee alternative, substitute for coffee, alternative to coffee, caffeine free drink ). It’s close enough to have satisfied my coffee longing and didn’t give me any bad feelings, although I did read everywhere, that a coffee every now and then was ok. I did, however, eat chocolate, which has caffeine as well.

I think, if it makes you feel good, go for it. You feeling good may be better than the bad part about caffeine, if that makes sense.

I gave it up in the past with previous iui/ivf cycles. This last time I only cut back. I was drinking about 6 oz of coffe a day. I did that through the first trimester and the increased up to 10 oz a day once the highest risk of miscarriage was over. Occasionally Now I’ll add in a few sips of my husbands cafeinated soda or another 1/2 cup later in the day if it’s a realy bad day. I’m now 19 weeks pregnant with a beautiful little girl. None of my doctors, (re or OB) ever said to quit all together. Also of note durring the times I gave caffeine up I had 2 miscarriages and a chemical pregnancy.

Maybe because of the amount of caffeine I would take in per day before TTC my body just couldn’t function correctly with none. Maybe it was all coincidence. Either way I’m with you on the cut back not give up train and for me- it’s worked out wonderfully so far.

Also- congrats on your bfp!

I gave it up in the first trimester. I bought some decaf versions of my favorite black tea to substitute (yeah, it still has some caffeine but it’s so tiny), but it turned out that the smell of black tea was, like, my main food aversion! About halfway through the second trimester, though, I started drinking it again, and by the end of the third trimester, I had a cup most days. I would say, if you feel guilty, do what you can to reduce your caffeine intake, but you’re not going to hurt your baby. Don’t let yourself fall into the trap of, “Don’t you appreciate your baby enough to do absolutely EVERYTHING just perfect?” That’s a useless, harmful type of thinking that is absolutely coated on pregnant women and mothers, and if you let it get to you now, it will just kill you after the baby is born. It doesn’t get better, and in fact, the pressure just grows and grows if you let it. You are a mother now, so now’s your chance to start learning that you get to raise your kid exactly how you want, even if someone else thinks you shouldn’t want that, and that you will do stuff that you realize isn’t the best but your kid’ll be just fine. :.) I know that’s a lot to say about just whether to have a cup of coffee or not, but seriously, it starts out as little things like that and it just snowballs. You’ll never have a day where you don’t see people judging parents for the big and the little things they do, so start practicing that confidence now, whether you decide to have that coffee or not.

I cut out a lot! But I still allow myself to drink A coke here and there ( maybe twice a week). I also eat chocolate. I don’t drink coffee much, but also don’t feel like drinking coffee at the moment.

[quote=Darlee]I so far have not. I’m feeling so guilty for drinking my half cup in the AM every day…but I am so lost without coffee! (I even water it down with hot water to make it feel like I am drinking more than half a cup!)

I know the studies are mixed and most say that 200mg or less a day is ok…but some of these pregnancy books say you should really give it all up 100%. And after what all of us have been through to get :preg: …makes me feel even worse that I’m not totally quitting!

So is anyone else still drinking just a lil bt of coffee with me? Or do I need to get with it and go cold turkey?[/quote]

why don’t you drink green tea instead? you’ll get a little caffeine (25-30mg) and antioxidants.

What shasie said! I’m really not worried about the caffeine in any tea, honestly, especially green tea. I drink fruit teas all day (mostly blueberry) and sometimes decaf Earl Grey… but if I’m super-sleepy (and how can I not be with the pg messing up my sleep?)… I allow myself some regular tea or even a small dose of regular coffee mixed into decaf. I never go anywhere close to 200 mg. I feel like I’ve had enough to worry about. :slight_smile: I’m ok with occasional caffeine. Heck, chocolate has caffeine, too, and I’m not giving that up! Life is short. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=shasie]why don’t you drink green tea instead? you’ll get a little caffeine (25-30mg) and antioxidants.[/QUOTE]

I love your philosophy, Kashir! I try to remember the science behind any of the recommendations, and that helps me keep things in perspective. I’m hoping that once I become a mother (to a human anyway), that I’ll be able to be a “moderation is key” type of person. I don’t think it’s healthy to obsess about everything. Life really is meant for living… I don’t want to compete for the best this or that, or obsess about every single thing. Case in point: I eat organic fruits and vegetables, but I only insist on getting the “Dirty Dozen” organic. And if I have a dish in a restaurant that’s made with non-organic vegetables, I know it’s not poison. :slight_smile:

Anyway, caffeine is OK. The science says that there’s a correlation between high caffeine intake (more than 500mg) and miscarriage in the 1st trimester. It also correlates with lower infertility (in both men and women) during IVF cycles. But I would think that occasional cups, even during the 1st trimester, is totally reasonable.

I don’t want to obsess about everything. :slight_smile: I need ways to relax. The main reason I am drinking very little caffeine right now is that it helps me not be agitated. :slight_smile: I’ve noticed I just seem chemically “more anxious” for no reason all the time, so I’m avoiding caffeine because of that.

[QUOTE=kashiruvana]I gave it up in the first trimester. I bought some decaf versions of my favorite black tea to substitute (yeah, it still has some caffeine but it’s so tiny), but it turned out that the smell of black tea was, like, my main food aversion! About halfway through the second trimester, though, I started drinking it again, and by the end of the third trimester, I had a cup most days. I would say, if you feel guilty, do what you can to reduce your caffeine intake, but you’re not going to hurt your baby. Don’t let yourself fall into the trap of, “Don’t you appreciate your baby enough to do absolutely EVERYTHING just perfect?” That’s a useless, harmful type of thinking that is absolutely coated on pregnant women and mothers, and if you let seriously, it starts out as little things like that and it just snowballs. You’ll never have a day where you don’t see people judging parents for the big and the little things they do, so start practicing that confidence now, whether you decide to have that coffee or not.[/QUOTE]

I did. I wasn’t a huge coffee drinker-- two small cups a day was the most I ever did, although occasionally I also had caffeinated tea. I started about two weeks before my IVF transfer by cutting my cups to 1/2 decaf mixed with 1/2 regular, then cut out one cup entirely, then switched to tea. By the time I had my IVF transfer I was caffeine free.
Still, most doctors say it’s perfectly fine to have under 200 mg of caffeine, which is a small cup or two a day, without worrying about harming your pregnancy.

Since my last post, I’ve found out I’m pregnant, so I guess I’ll weigh in again! Like last time, I went out to the fancy grocery and got some super tasty decaf coffees, and I have a couple of cups of that a day. I’ve had a couple decaf cups of black teas (they don’t seem to be as much of an aversion this time around), but also, where I work, they keep the pantry stocked with some nice herbal teas as well, and right now I’m completely addicted to “I Love Lemon”!

Funny story, though; the weekend I found out I was pregnant, here’s how it went down. DH was flying out on Monday so we were trying to have a nice weekend together before he left. I had a bunch of (caf) coffee Saturday morning. We took DD out to Fiesta de Los Ninos, where I carried her around in the hot sun for a couple of hours. Then we came home and we had a “treat” dinner–I had a whole bunch of vitamin-A-alicious liver pate and a glass of wine. Sunday morning, I took an HPT for the heck of it and got my BFP! Then, I went to my mom’s house and moved furniture. :.

Fortunately, baby seems to be doing fine. Can’t wait for that ultrasound on Tuesday, but after almost two weeks, it looks like I got super lucky, especially with the pate. Can’t promise I won’t be a little bit worried, though, until it’s far enough along to see good neural development, but that’s more because my numbers seem low for my dates.