Who to call? OB, RE, or family doctor?

Okay, I have been taking Cymbalta for about 2 years for anxiety and some depression issues. I quit taking it several months ago when I started seeing my RE (she didn’t tell me to, but I read online that it wasnt’ safe during pregnancy, so I decided to do so). In recent weeks it’s became obvious again just why I needed the medicine in the first place, I just neeeeed it.

I detest going to the doctor, especially if it’s something I can call and talk to my doctor about… but which doctor should I call? I want to make sure that it’s a medication that would be safe in case I get pregnant. I haven’t seen my regular OB doctor in about a year, so figure that’s a no-go? I worry that my RE will think I’m crazy calling her to talk about anxiety/depression? And I’m afraid that my family doctor will give me something that wouldn’t be the just-right one.

Please help me out!! Thanks a bunch, this anxiety/depresison SUCKS bad.

I would call both the RE and your family dr. and compare their answers. Hope you figure it out and can get everything under control

Talk to your regular doctor and tell them that you are going through fertility treatments. Get their recommendation then call the Fertility Re and ask their opinion.

I agree. Call you regular doctor and explain to him that you are going through fertility treatments and that you need something that doesnt interfere with a potential pregnancy. I am sure that you are not the only one with this issue. Best of luck!

Hey there. I have sort of been having similar issues, only I haven’t been on anxiety medication yet but feel I need it, as does my doctor. So she prescribed cipralex as she claimed it was a decent one to use during pregnancy. However, after researching it myself I found information about it being unsafe especially after 20 weeks of pregnancy. So I never started taking it. It is my doctors opinion that it woukd be healthier to take medication during pregnancy than to have anxiety during pregnancy. However, I bet a lot of doctors woukd disagree, and I personally feel like I’m not sure whether I want to be taking anything either. So I would call your doctor to discuss his/her opinion of the pros versus cons of taking it during pregnancy.

You need to talk to a psychiatrist, and you need to accept that this is going to take more than a phone call. A psychiatrist will know what drugs are safe during pregnancy and also what to look for/how to respond as your hormones change throughout pregnancy and after.

LOL!! Psychiatrist… who would have thought?!? lol Funniest part is, I’m a mental health support worker, and didn’t even think of that, I know that’s bad.

The thing is, we live in a tiny hick-town and I work for the only agency with a psychiatrist and just am not comfortable going there… but I’m definitely going to talk to my family doctor tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input!!!

[quote=Hope2Have]Okay, I have been taking Cymbalta for about 2 years for anxiety and some depression issues. I quit taking it several months ago when I started seeing my RE (she didn’t tell me to, but I read online that it wasnt’ safe during pregnancy, so I decided to do so). In recent weeks it’s became obvious again just why I needed the medicine in the first place, I just neeeeed it.

I detest going to the doctor, especially if it’s something I can call and talk to my doctor about… but which doctor should I call? I want to make sure that it’s a medication that would be safe in case I get pregnant. I haven’t seen my regular OB doctor in about a year, so figure that’s a no-go? I worry that my RE will think I’m crazy calling her to talk about anxiety/depression? And I’m afraid that my family doctor will give me something that wouldn’t be the just-right one.

Please help me out!! Thanks a bunch, this anxiety/depresison SUCKS bad.[/quote]

I have been on and off of anti-anxiety/anti-depression meds for years. Prozac seems to be what works best for me, and my MD’s say it is safe to take during pregnancy, although they would want me to reduce the dose or go off of it for the 3rd trimester because it poses a risk to the baby of low birth weight and/or breathing issues. You really need to weigh the pros and cons, and may want to talk to both your RE and family practitioner, but definitely talk to one.

When I was pregnant with my 1st, I went off of meds completely. My anxiety/depression issues have worsened though, and in talking with my MD and RE, I have decided that I need to stay on the meds while I am trying to get pregnant again, and throughout the pregnancy if and when I do get pregnant.

It seems like we are in similar situations as I cannot function without meds either. What it comes down to is that you need to take care of YOU first, because if the anxiety and depression gets the upper hand, it is hard to get back again.

:pray: :pray: :pray: for you! If you ever need someone to reach out to, I would be happy to be an email buddy… I can empathize with what you are going through. Hang in there!