Working out through IVF poll

Hi ladies, I have a baby via follistim and ovidrel and IUI. Tried it again for baby#2 and it didn’t work. Starting IVF now. Started BCP pills today and lupron soon. I was curious to find out if you will continue to exercise once follistim starts? And will you after bed rest?

Thanks!

I was advised nothing after stims start (chance of ovarian torsion). If I’m lucky enough to get pregnant, the most I’ll do is light walking. I would never risk something happening when I have the rest of my life to exercise. I just don’t think it’s worth it.

[quote=Keltank]Hi ladies, I have a baby via follistim and ovidrel and IUI. Tried it again for baby#2 and it didn’t work. Starting IVF now. Started BCP pills today and lupron soon. I was curious to find out if you will continue to exercise once follistim starts? And will you after bed rest?

Thanks![/quote]

Once I started stims, the RE said walking was ok but not to do too much else until after. I was doing bootcamp at the time and he said no go once stims started.

I haven’t exercised while on stims – didn’t really exercise before that either, lol. Hopefully you’ll respond really well and get lots of eggs – this makes you feel full and bloated - you will be to uncomfortable to work out. Best of luck!

My RE says walking throughout is fine but increasing your heart rate and core temperature can be bad, so nothing too strenuous. Also, anything like yoga/pilates with any bending/twisting puts you at an increased risk for ovarian torsion (which us IVFers are all at risk for because our ovaries are big) and can twist much more easily than at baseline.

I was told not to exercise stims. Don’t even do yoga because you could risk ovarian torsion. Maybe strolling is the most form of exercise during stims. Some clinics advocate bed rest and some don’t for 2ww. If you opt for bedrest after ET, don’t do it for too long so clots won’t form.

Ovarian torsion is what happened to me last cycle: not fun, for sure (in most of the cases ovarian torsion is resolved by surgical removal of ovary - was hospitalised 9 days, admited to hospital in agonising pain).

If I may advise you: do not exercise – with ovaries enlarged by stims you are at high risk of ovarian torsion.

Good luck!

D

Thank you ladies! Great info! I had no idea!

I’ve only been taking short walks, nothing vigorous. After my BFP, I will restart yoga, focusing on prenatal yoga.

Like most of these ladies already stated, nothing too crazy that could cause Ovarian torsion. I was using my treadmill and weights up until about a week before my retrieval - stopped mainly due to discomfort from bloating.
Best advice is listen to your body! Haven’t done a thing since then and finally getting the courage to get back on the treadmill tonight with my little bug inside…just walking though :slight_smile: