Wyatt and Violet

wyatt & violet are going to be 18 months old at the end of this month! It’s crazy how fast the time goes.my babies are growing up.and I’m needing some sleep…they still wake up 2-3 times per night & i won’t do CIO.i know this phase will pass but its exhausting.

I’m sorry you’re going through this, esp with twins. I’m not sure I have any answers but you’re not alone.

DS is 15.5 months old has been having some waking-up-at-night issues also. He used to just wake up once a night or not at all but the awakenings started to become 2 times each night (sometimes 3 times) when he refused to take an afternoon nap. He’s just too cranky to sleep well, although he’ll fall asleep for the night initially with little problem. If he wakes up in the middle of the night, I put him on the breast and he falls back asleep. It’s as if he’s developed “learned hunger” (waking up expecting to be fed) and that’s my fault because I feed him when he wakes up. Why? Because it’s easy and a fast way to get him back to sleep and because I’m lazy.

Anyway, after doing some reading on baby/toddler sleep issues, I found that usually if they wake up within 1-2 hours after being put to bed for the night, that’s it’s an “overtired” issue. Therefore, if DS wakes up crying within 2 hours after being put to bed, I let him put himself back to sleep. He might cry for 5-10 minutes but he’s back asleep for a few hours. If he wakes up crying after that, then I’ll go feed him but be sure and keep the light off in his room and not talk to him except for maybe “shhhhhhh,” because night time isn’t for socializing.

Another thing, I’ve never been a big proponent of “cry it out” and I hate to hear DS cry, but sometimes there’s not much I can do. He usually goes to bed for the night with no problems because we have a bedtime routine. But if he’s crying for more than a few minutes after being put down for the night, I go through a list in my mind. Dry diaper. Check. Been fed & doesn’t want anymore. Check. Not ill. Check. Temperature ok in room. Check. Teething gel on. Check. Check. Check. Often times, babies/tots cry because they’re tired. I eventually learned that by going into his room and picking him up, I’m keeping him awake even longer and prolonging the situation. Now that he’s older, he doesn’t like being held for long periods of time. So if I pick him up, he’s calm for a minute but then starts squirming or arching back. He then goes back in his crib because he doesn’t want to be held and then starts crying again…and the process starts over. I would then realize that I should’ve left him alone to begin with.

Anyhow, my situation might be totally different than yours, especially since you have two toddlers, but I figured I’d share. It took me a while to figure out the overtired issue.