zero fertilisation with ICSI

Hello dear ladies,

Maybe you could help me with some thoughts :pray:

I’m 40. I just had an IVF cycle with: Gonal 600 UI and Luveris 300 UI for 11 days of stimulations.
We had 6 retrieved eggs, 4 eggs were matures but none of them fertilized with ICSI !!! :grr:

What do you think? Were my eggs fried? Do you think my doses were too high? Please give me some opinions.

[URL="http://forums.fertilitycommunity.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=1108532904"][/URL]

[QUOTE=dance]Hello dear ladies,

I’m 40. I just had an IVF cycle with: Gonal 600 UI and Luveris 300 UI for 11 days of stimulations.
We had 6 retrieved eggs, 4 eggs were matures but none of them fertilized with ICSI !!! :grr:

What do you think? Were my eggs fried? Do you think my doses were too high? Please give me some opinions.

[URL="http://forums.fertilitycommunity.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=1108532904"][/URL][/QUOTE]

I’m sorry to hear that things didn’t work out for you. I’m afraid is sounds like a combination of bad luck and age related egg quality issues, to me. With four mature eggs, you were well within the margin of error to not get any successfully fertilize.

Edit: Also, I don’t know exactly the details of your case, but if you used ICSI, it implies that you had male factor issues too which further exacerbates the chances of successfully fertilizing.

:grouphug: I’m sorry. I know how that feels…I had 4 mature eggs retrieved last cycle and none fertilized. Well one did on day 4 and arrested but only did a single split. What helped me was my clinic let me talk to the embryologist. He was able to tell me how everything looked clinically to him - and since we used ICSI for MF he was thinking that DH sperm were no good but could not confirm the cause unless we used both DH and back up to see if my eggs would even fertilize. They are assuming more MF because I have younger eggs but a poor AMH. So here we are with another cycle utilizing back up and the rest of the frozen with DH and we’ll know for sure this time whether it was the sperm, my eggs or a combination. Anyway you look at it, it was very rough news to handle considering how much you have already gone through for this cycle! Good luck on your next step.

Dance - Without any specifics about your #s, it’s hard to tell, but 600 Gonal us a lot. I would question both RE and embryologist to see what they think went wrong. I’m so sorry that your cycle ended this way.

BTW - a lot of REs use ICSI even without male factor. Older women have eggs with harder shells so ICSI helps with that. Also people doing PGS or PGD usually have to do ICSI.

[QUOTE=dance]Hello dear ladies,

[URL="http://forums.fertilitycommunity.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=1108532904"][/URL][/QUOTE]

[quote=dance]Hello dear ladies,

[/quote]

I’m sorry you went through this. :grouphug:It is possible that your eggs could have been fried. I think some clinics will sometimes sacrifice quality for quantity. All you need is one good egg.

I’m so very sorry to hear this. The obvious reason is to blame egg quality, but I would also suggest there could have been a lab failure. I have stimmed with doses that high and had 75-100% fertilzation. Ask your RE about the confidence level of the lab. They can make a big difference. Hope you can try again :grouphug:

I had zero fertilization with ICSI. I was 32 at the time. We have very minor male factor issues. My eggs were blamed. I tried again with a different protocol (I went to MDL from long lupron). I had 100% fertilization and a daughter from that cycle. I would just change to a different protocol. It may have been the high doses. I tried a high dose protocol on another occasion and had poor fertilization. I think some peoples eggs are just more sensitive to certain protocols.*

I am really sorry this happened. I felt devastated and thought IVF would never work for me. I would not let those thoughts enter your mind. You just need a new protocol.

Also, no fertilization can also be a lab issue, but it seems like it more often results from a protocol issue, thus, causing bad quality eggs.

I would be worried that the 600 IU of FSH was too much. I’ve heard that 450 IU is optimal as max-dose for DOR and older women. I’d look into how much experience your RE has with older women. Of course it could be an intrinsic egg issue, but I’m concerned about the medication doses. The CCRM girls have a lot of info about this. I’m not a patient there, but have learned a lot from that thread.

Hugs,
Ali

Thank you all for answers

The doctor wants me to switch to Repronex 450 IU for the next cycle.
I’m so confused. :grr:
Is 450 IU Repronex a high or is it a normal dose?

Any thoughts are very welcome.

Would like to share with you my story:

Nine years ago, in 2004, out of 20 mature eggs, I had ZERO embryos :grr: . I didn’t use ICSI at that time (my DH had great results of SA) and we were both in our late twenties. I had bad OHSS afterwards and very high E2 at the time of ER. There were no RE on planet Earth (due to my job, I lived and worked in many, many countries all over the world) who didn’t tell me to look for donor eggs option due to serious egg quality issue I certainly have :grr: .

Last month, 9 years after first IVF and with new DH in his late sixties (I remarried in the meantime for somebody who already has 3 children mainly due to my “hopeless infertility”) I had another IVF and out of 17 mature eggs with ICSI I had 12 embryos which resulted with 7 perfect 5 day blasts. Surprise, surprise!!! Of course, I had again terrible OHSS afterwards, even higher E2 at the time of ER compared with 2004 etc.

Conclusion is, regardless the fact that I used ICSI this time and not in 2004, that my embryologist don’t have a clue what went wrong in 2004 (she says that my eggs look great, that membrane is very thin and that seems that egg quality is absolutely not an issue in my case).

Not to give you false hope, but fact is that conclusion about egg quality cannot be made based just on only one IVF attempt.

In my case, after almost 10 years I have spent believing that I’ll never have my biological children, I feel completely cheated by prematurely conclusion of REs about quality of my eggs.

Don’t give up! It is not over yet!

D

Thank you Dear D for your kind words
Do you have a clue if Repronex 450IU is a high dose?
Thank you